Student Testing Services
The College-Level Examination Program gives you the opportunity to receive college credit for what you already know by earning qualifying scores on any of 33 examinations. Earn credit for knowledge you've acquired through independent study, on-the-job training, professional development, cultural pursuits, or internships.
Signing Up to Take a CLEP Test at Taylorsville Redwood Road Campus
1. General Information about the CLEP is found in the Information for Candidates pamphlet and the College Board CLEP Brochure. (Available at the Taylorsville Redwood Road Campus Testing Center) We are located in the Construction Trades Building (on the South East Side of the Campus) enter on the East side of the building. We are in room 033 in the basement.
2. There are 33 CLEP examinations. Each CLEP test gives the tester six credit hours. Salt Lake Community College accepts four of these tests:
a. College Composition (which give the tester credit for English 1010 and three elective credits),
b. Natural Sciences (which gives credit for three hours of Physical Science plus three credit hours of Biological Science),
c. Humanities (which gives credit for three hours of Fine Arts and three credit hours of Humanities),
d. Social Science/History (which gives credit for three hours of HIST 1700 and three hours of Social Science).
3. CLEP requires two forms of identification to be presented before testing is allowed.
The PRIMARY ID must be a government-issued photo-ID. The ID must include the candidate's name, signature, and a recognizable photograph. Acceptable forms of the primary identification include:
- Current passport with name, photograph, and signature
- Valid driver's license with name, photograph, and signature
- State or Province ID issued by the motor vehicle agency with name, photograph, and signature
- Military ID
- National ID with name, photograph, and signature
- A tribal ID card
- A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship
- If the student is a minor and unable to provide a primary government-issued ID then the College Board ID Form must be used for the primary ID. This form must include a recognizable photo, and the school seal must overlap the photo. The student must sign the ID form in the presence of the student's counselor or principal. Ask the student to sign the ID form again at the test center. This form is valid only in the United States test centers. It must be dated and is good for only one year.
- Contact CLEP Services at 800-257-9558, 609-771-7865, or download it from the Exam Day Info page of the CLEP website http://clep.collegeboard.org/exam-day-info.
The SECONDARY ID must contain either a photo or a signature. Acceptable forms of secondary identification include:
- A current student ID
- A military ID (Common Access Card)
- An unused ID from the primary choices above
3. The CLEP tests are taken on the computer. Each test is timed. The College Composition takes two hours; each of the other tests is allotted an hour and a half.
4. The cost to take the CLEP is paid with two different payments. $25.00 is paid directly to Salt Lake Community College with cash or check; $80.00 is paid directly to CLEP. The tester can either pay this payment by check made out to CLEP or enter their credit card information into the computer before beginning the test. CLEP will bill the tester directly and ask for a credit or debit card charge of $80.00. Payments made by check will require a CLEP payment envelope enclosed with a copy of the printout of the student’s attendance record in the mailing envelope.
5. There are 80 points possible for each of the CLEP tests. Salt Lake Community College requires a score of 50 to pass the test. The results will appear on their transcript as a PASS and will not affect their GPA. Students who have taken a class before and received a “C” or higher cannot take the CLEP. Testers who fail the CLEP have to wait six months before they can retake the test, no exceptions.
6. Results of each test (except College Composition) print out when the test is completed. The College Composition Test consists of 50 multiple choice questions and 2 written essays. The essays are scored every two weeks. All testers, taking CLEP tests for Salt Lake Community College, must fill out a form after completing the test. They fill this form out in the CLEP room where they will receive a copy of their results.
7. The official results of each CLEP test will be sent to both the tester and their school. The official results take anywhere from four to six weeks to appear on their transcripts. The tester must have completed their matriculation to have their credits appear on their transcripts.
For additional information regarding CLEP tests, go to the Collegeboard/CLEP official website at http://clep.collegeboard.org/?affiliateId=rdr&bannerId=clep. Visit the College Board Store at store.collegeboard.com to purchase the CLEP Official Study Guide or an individual examination guide.
The links provided on this web page are not under the direct or indirect control of Salt Lake Community College, and are provided as a convenience to you. By clicking on any such hyperlink, you will be leaving the SLCC website.
To schedule an appointment,
or for more information contact:
Aubrey Lewis at 801-957-4572